As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Kind of Biker Gang

My friend had this bike in Korea, and when she left, she gave it to me. She left way back in February and I just picked the bike up now. Why? I’ll tell you.

There are three foreign teachers in my school and we all live in different apartments. But there are six other teachers who all live in the same building. It’s called the waygook building (foreigner building). So my friend just had it locked up and parked in the little lobby.



So I was hanging out with those foreigners at their apartment and finally someone said, ‘hey, you have to take that bike in the next five days, or it’s mine.’ I said OK and went to get the key so I could take it home. My friend gave the key to another foreigner in that building, so I asked that guy for the key. Of course, he didn’t know where it was.



So I walk to the local hardware store and point to a bike lock. Then I say, “I need to cut.” She the guy reached for a big clippers and said ‘$25.’ I said no. Then he pointed to a tiny saw that was probably less sharp than a serrated knife. But he said it was $1, so I jumped all over that.



So when I got back t the apartment where the bike was, my friend helped hold the bike lock while I sawed through it. It took about ten minutes. After that, I went back to the same guy and bought a new combination bike lock. I’m glad the guy didn’t seem too suspicious as to why I bought a knife so I could cut off a bike lock, then come back ten minutes later and buy another one. That doesn’t have theft written all over it…



So I am officially the proud new owner of a bike. It’s too bad that I didn’t get to ride it for the whole summer. But I must say that basket is very convenient. I went to the supermarket and put all my groceries in there. Usually it would be a 15-minute walk with two heavy bags. So this is better!

1 comment:

Larry said...

Good news/bad news. I just wrote a lengthy response/reaction to your three new entries - of course I loved them. Bad news, I somehow erased the entry before it was published - don't even ask me how. Let's Skype, IM or whatever. What's the best time to reach you?