As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My new friend - Kuala Lumpur Pt. 3

I think it was after returning to my hostel from the KL Tower, I went to the roof of my hostel because from there you could see the Twin Towers poking through the building and the top of the KL Tower. So I was going to take some pictures until I ran into a girl up there. We started chatting and I thought she was from England, judging by her accent. Turns out, she was from Wales [close enough ;)]. I had just bought some beers, but we both went back to the store to buy more and sit on the roof.
When we got back, we started chatting and it turns out she was teaching English in South Korea too! It seemed like any foreigner I ran into was an English teacher somewhere. That was good because we had something in common and had something to talk about.
We decided to head to bed because I was still so tired those first couple days. But we made plans to hang out the next morning because she had just arrived and didn't know much. I told her I had been there for a couple days and know a little about the city. What she really wanted to do is see the bird park. I told her my extreme fear of birds and laughed at me. Oh well. But I still had my bright orange wristband from a couple days before, so I told her I would try to get in without paying.
So when we finally got to the bird park the next morning, she paid and got her bright orange wristband and I still had mine on. I remember from the first day that you could enter the park from the gift shop and there probably wasn't anyone guarding the door. There was a person there, but he just checked our wrists and let us go. So I got in without paying, which was nice.
We spent a good couple hours at the bird park and then walked across the street where we spent another couple hours at the orchid garden. She had just bought a new camera and wanted to use her 'macro' setting. She was very excited about it. Then I finally found out that I had a macro button on my ancient camera. Everyone makes fun of me and says it belongs at a museum. I think it takes pretty good pictures still, so I don't care.
I believe we also went back to the Towers again (surprise, surprise). I couldn't help it and since it was her first couple days there, she hadn't seen them yet. I think a lot of people go to Kuala Lumpur to see those towers. After that, I think we headed out to the bars. There is one popular bar in Chinatown that is popular with tourists. So we went there. We met some cool people there; lots of Europeans. Actually about five from Holland and one guy from Zimbabwe and a guy he was hanging out with. That guy was from Seattle, but he had a British accent. And he was brown; not black and not white, but mixed. I know that is probably politically incorrect, but I kept calling him that. I was so confused at his accent. But they were all pretty fun. Crazy fun.

No comments: