As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Towers of Kuala Lumpur Pt. 2

I was really tired during the days, so the first couple days I actually stayed in the hostel to take naps. It reminded me a little of Spain or Mexico because everyday around 2pm, I would go home and rest. It was glorious. I knew I would be in the city for the next couple days, so I had no worries about missing something. Plus, isn't the point of vacation to relax?
I walked around Chinatown a lot. I also ate Subway quite frequently. But I really wanted to get a full view of the skyline, so I went back to the City Centre. Then I realized to get a full view of the skyline, I would need to go further away from the Twin Towers, not closer to them. So I took a few extra stops on the 'ol subway and walked as far as I could. I got tired pretty easily because it was so humid there. The temp was around 90 the full six days, but when I was checking the weather, it also said it was supposed to be thunderstorm-y the entire time I was there. I think it sprinkled maybe one day.
So I walked far enough to take a few shots of the skyline. I still don't know what draws me to those Twin Towers, but they are mesmerizing; almost hypnotic.
So walking all that way away from the towers, I realized I had to walk all that way back to get back to the subway. But it was getting dark, which was a good thing, because my plan was to go up in the Kuala Lumpur Tower at nighttime and go up in the Twin Towers during the day. That way I could see two different perspectives from two different towers during the daytime and the nighttime. Perfect, right?
Plan A worked, but plan B didn't. I successfully saw the Kuala Lumpur Tower at night, but the next day when I went to go up in the Twin Towers, I was too late in line to go all the way to the top observatory level. It's a first-come, first-serve basis and I didn't get there early enough in the morning at 8:30, so I figured I wouldn't get up any earlier any other day, so I would just deal with it.
I couldn't go all the way to the top, but I could go to the sky bridge. The sky bridge in unique because it's a two-story bridge. In fact, it's the tallest two-story bridge in the world at 558 ft. The 41st floor is only used for tourists and the 42nd floor is only for workers in the buildings. The sky bridge also isn't even connected between the two towers. It was designed to be able to slide in case high winds blew the buildings and made them sway. Pretty intense.
That's the story of my experiences in the towers. I swear I visited those towers everyday. OH YEAH! I should tell you. While I was waiting in line to get my ticket to the sky bridge, I got there at 8:30 and waited an hour just to get a voucher for a ticket. Once you got that, you had to wait again (for another hour!) to get the actual ticket. So when I finally get my ticket, it says my time to go up in 2:20!!!! Now I have to waste time around this place for four hours!!!
Luckily, the towers had six levels of shopping. It slightly reminded me of Mall of America because it was just endless shops and stores. Tons of name brands and everything. So I got some lunch and stumbled upon a movie theater. They had two movies playing that I really wanted to see: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and The Hangover 2. I decided on The Hangover 2. I had a 7-hour layover in Kuala Lumpur on my return from Bali to Seoul, so I figured I would leave the airport and plan on seeing the final Harry Potter movie. Perfect!
I really enjoyed my day just walking around the stores and seeing the towers. I WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!

No comments: