As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Final Days in Kuala Lumpur - Pt. 4

The end of the week was winding down and I was getting ready to head to my next destination; Bali. But first, I had one more day and my friend from Minnesota from Seoul was coming to meet me and finish my last eight days in Bali with me. Now, I met my friend at UMD and we both played French horn together. Well, she was a flute performance major and she played in Wind Ensemble (the highest band) and she occasionally played French horn in concert band and pep band. So we've known each other for six years. So, she met me for one day and one night in Malaysia and then we were going to spend eight days in Bali.
Sheila was organized and an awesome person to travel with. She planned most of the things we did that day; mostly because I wanted her to see the things she wanted to see because I had already been there for five days or so. So we went to the Batu caves that's about 15km outside Kuala Lumpur. The cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, dedicated to Lord Murugan. Outside the cave, there is a 42.7 m-high statue of Lord Murugan, which is the largest Lord Murugan statue in the world. The cave was damp and humid inside, but it was very neat to go in there. It seemed random that there was a cave so close to the city.
That was the first stop on our one-day tour. After that, we headed to the pewter museum. They make a lot of cool things there: cups, jewelry, replicas of things and the trophy for Formula One racing. It's really great because the tour took us through the factory and you could actually see the people working and see how things were made. A lot of work-by-hand went into making the products, so it was really hard not buying anything (I am pretty cheap and some of the things there were expensive).
Next on the tour was a textiles shop where you could see how patterns were made and woven into the cloth. It was pretty interesting, but the guides there weren't the best, so I wasn't too impressed with that lag of the trip.
Then, we went to the chocolate factory. the first thing we saw was how the seed from the cocoa bean was made into chocolate. Then Sheila said the funniest thing once the chocolate was finished: "Wow, it smells like Easter!" I laughed so hard when I heard this. I actually laughed so hard that the guy presenting was actually laughing too. It was hilarious. Then we continued to go through the store and sample a whole bunch of chocolates: chocolate covered espresso bean, vanilla chocolate, mango chocolate, EVERY kind of chocolate. I held out and didn't buy any (because I'm cheap) but I don't regret that.
I think that concluded the tour. I think we had one night together and another half day the next day before we flew out.

No comments: