As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Korean Fashion

Koreans have a great sense of fashion.  I am being honest.  They are pretty trendy and in the bigger cities, you rarely see a sloppily dressed Korean.  BUT, even their socks are fashionable!  In Korean culture, usually you remove your shoes before entering a room, whether that be a: restaurant, your apartment or in the school.  So your socks are always exposed.


All my students always make fun of me when I have holes in my socks.  They always point and laugh and say 'hole' in Korean.  I always get embarrassed, but I am too cheap to buy socks.  Apparently socks are very cheap, so that's why there is no reason to have holes in your socks.

Mine and girls' socks

Kids' socks are also very fashionable.  They never have plain, white socks.  They always have some cute little character on them or the socks will have more than five colors.  It's pretty funny.  So one day during cooking class, I brought my camera and wanted to take pictures of all my kids' socks.  The girls were willing, but the boys weren't.  I made them do it anyway or I told them we couldn't go to cooking class and eat food.  So they obliged.

Mine and boys' socks
They also have lots of other little accessories like bear ears or something on top of hoodies and bunny ear on top of their cell phone.  Winter hats for young children are also popular with raccoon, tiger and lion faces.  They are pretty awesome when young kids wear them.

Mina with her hood
Unfortunately, I never bought any Korean clothes.  I am considered fat over here.  I will admit that I have gained some (beer) weight, but I hope I'm not fat.

No comments: