As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

English Contest in Daejeon

Our students (and teachers) have been working hard and many many overtime hours with two students who will say a speech and two groups preforming a skit.  They will perform in Daejeon, where it was the finals, so-to-say.  They competed in Seoul during our summer vacation and now last weekend was when they performed in front of all the finalists.


One group did a play called 'King Solomon.'  It was a group of four boys and they did pretty well, but their pronunciation wasn't the best.  I could understand them because I knew the lines of the play for the most part.  During the finals days before we left for Daejeon, they added a whole bunch of props and costumes and it seemed like too much for them.  They were bring overloaded and they got jumbled with all the extra things they had to worry about.  That was true for all the groups and speech givers.


The other group was 'The Sound of Music.'  I wrote this script.  It was awesome.  Maybe in June sometime, our boss gave us an assignment for the day and she said that each teacher had to write a script for four characters in 'The Sound of Music.'  We all looked at each other and thought that was the stupidest assignment in the history of stupid assignments.  We also had to include three songs.  Now I can't just sit down for a day and write a script, mostly because I have never done that before.  But also, even in college it would take me a couple different days to write a paper.  C'mon.


Needless to say, we three teachers all turned in a script.  Mine was chosen.  Alright!  I worked really hard on it and I really liked the flow and how everything turned out.  So the kids were rehearsing and memorized their lines within the first couple days.  They are ALL amazing.



Then just like the other skit group, our boss started adding and deleting a whole bunch of things, confusing the kids, making them scream and fight with each other and it got out of control.  She bought a whole bunch of matching costumes and everything.  I must admit, when Daejeon finally came around, they looked pretty cute.

I wrote one speech about the Pyeongchang winter Olympics in 2018 and helped edit a speech about sign language.  Both of those speeches I was really close with too, so I'm glad they were chosen to go to Daejeon.  So the two skits and the two speeches won at Seoul Summer Camp and now they were going to the finals in Daejeon.

Finally, the weekend of Daejeon comes and Arazue and I were chosen to chaperone the trip.  We both felt really bad because we didn't rehearse much with the kids, the other two teachers did.  But I really wanted to go and offered my place to one of the other teachers to go, but they both didn't really seem to care, so I just left it.

So Friday morning we load the bus to make the 5-hour journey to Daejeon.  It was fun to hang out with the kids and see them in their true element.  And these kids probably have the best English in the whole school, so we communicate easily with them.

Arazue and I were so nervous the whole day the were performing.  We couldn't control our bladders and had to pee about every 20 minutes.  Now I think I know what it feels like to be an anxious parent...haha.

We kind of had some idea of how the results would turn out: We thought 'The Sound of Music" would place pretty high, but this other play was super good, so we thought the other team would win.  We also thought the Pyeongchang winter Olympics speech would win, because she had good pronunciation, content and actions within her speech.  But we didn't really know what to expect.

SO, the results were:

The Sound of Music - 2nd place and ₩700,000




Pyeongchang winter Olympics - 2nd place ₩700,000



Sign Language - 1st place ₩1,000,000



Charlie with his parents



King Solomon - not top three

That is pretty exciting.  You should have seen Charlie's face (Sign Language) when he heard that Anna (Pyeongchang Olympics) got second.  Then he thought he didn't place because Anna's speech was so good.  But when they were announcing the winner, they started off by saying the province, then the name.  When Charlie heard the province, he jumped up, but sat down right away because he didn't hear his name.  Then he heard his name and ran up on stage.  It was a very exciting moment!



No comments: