As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Intercultural Communication

First of all, Happy Birthday Dad!

I have one more day of teaching tomorrow (yes, on a Saturday) then it will be 10 full days since I've arrived. Following the other teachers and teaching a few classes on my own, I have really noticed cultural difference. I wouldn't say it's necessarily culture shock, because I'm not having a difficult time adjusting, it's more just differences between cultures, if that makes sense.

I'm not only talking about cultural differences between Americans and Koreans, but also between Americans and South Africans. As you may know, the only other English speaking teachers with me a three girls from South Africa.

First with Koreans, they always say hello with a bow. Similar with the head nod between guys in America, but instead with bows. Not too bad. A huge difference is Koreans always take their shoes off before entering a room: that could be in your home, in school or even in really traditional restaurants. Also with restaurants it's very typical that you sit on the floor. that will get some getting used to, but most places I've been to (coffee shops and bars mostly) there are chairs and tables. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are more.

Now with the South Africans, I can tell not only the differences with American culture, but also with our Minnesotan culture. Not even culture so much, but accents for sure. There used to be a girl from Minnesota in this town before I came, so the South Africans have been exposed to the accent before I got here. One word that really sticks out with them is the way I say 'bag.' They think I'm saying 'beg.' I tell them there is a distinct difference. Then I admitted the I call soda 'pop.' Then they said, 'pop?' I said yes. Also, we play this game where we describe words and give clues so the students can guess what we're thinking. The South African said. "I am orange. I have pips." I thought she said 'pups.' She said, "no, pips." I don't want to sound stupid, but I have never heard that word before. Later I come to find out it means seed. Anyway, she was trying to describe pumpkin.

I can't believe everyone in this world wants to learn this crazy language we call English. It's amazing that people are able to speak more than one language. It's nice hanging out with the South Africans and getting to know another culture while learning the Korean culture at the same time. I am very lucky to be here.

No comments: