As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Kuta, Bali, Indonesia - Pt.8


So Sheila just left the night before and I was going to spend one day alone in Bali.  The last night I stayed in Kuta, Bali and I knew two fellow English teachers from Inje would be there, so I was trying to find an internet café and get in touch with them.

How do we say farewell to our friends?


I was really unorganized because Sheila did most of the bookings so our accommodations and I didn’t have any hostel arranged for my last night.  So the second-to-last-day I was frantically trying to find a place for one night and only booking a day in advance, I didn’t think I would have much luck.  Good thing I did.

So I checked in that night and fell right asleep.  By this time in my trip, I was getting ready to head back to Korea.  But I woke up the next morning, put on my swimsuit and was going to find an internet café before spending the day on the beach.  So I left my room and was heading out of the hostel when my friend from Inje was running after me in his underwear.  He must have seen me walk by his room and just ran outside. 

So that was awesome because I didn’t have to find an internet café and we were randomly staying in the same hostel.  I was really relieved that I found them.  I’m glad I was able to spend the day with them.

They were all leaving that evening and late that night, so after spending the day with them, I would still have to sleep there and catch my flight the next morning.  That didn’t bother me though.



My friend and I spent some time walking around looking at the shops, then drank a few beers and watched the sunset, then we went to the Bali Bombing Memorial that was in the club and bar part of the town. 


In 2002, there was a terrorist attack on the island targeting ‘two nightclubs with Western clientele.’  Two hundred two people died, including 88 Australians and 38 Indonesians.  A huge memorial was constructed for all the people that lost their lives.



I was a little worried about coming to Bali because I knew of these events before I came, but I am also from America where we suffered a huge terrorist attack in 2001 and I was living in South Korea when North Korea launched some missiles on an island west of the peninsula.  So I wasn’t too nervous. 

And that concluded my trip.  What a great time!

No comments: