As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Awkward Interview

Wow, I just had the most awkward interview in my life.  I thought I was bad at being the interviewee, but I am worse at being the interviewER.  Gross.

My boss called me in early one day and said I had to interview the new teacher.  A new teacher will be coming the first weekend in December, so I was in charge of interviewing her.  Usually another teacher at my school would handle the interviews, but for some reason, my boss had me do it.

I asked the other teacher what she asked in the interview and she just said it's just to check the interviewee's English; to make sure it's clear and understandable.  That sounds easy.  So I called the interviewee and really had no idea what to ask her.  My boss didn't give me any guidelines or anything, so I just asked the interviewee some general questions.  She has already taught in Korea and she had a pre-recorded interview with the recruiter from Minnesota (yeah, the new teacher will be from Minnesota, just the the one that replaced me), so she was already a good candidate in my book.

So when I finish the phone call, my boss asks if she accepted the job.  What the heck!!!??  I didn't know I was supposed to offer her the position!!!  All my boss really told me was to ask questions.  So I said, 'I think so.'  I didn't know what to do.

So now I am frantically trying to contact my recruiter to tell him that my boss really wants this teacher.  I was emailing the interviewee because I had her email address from her resume and I said something like, 'sorry if I wasn't clear before, but I want to offer you a position at Inje English Village..' something along those lines.

Luckily, my recruiter contacted me right away and said all was good.  Then the interviewee emailed me back and said the same thing.  Whew!  I never want to conduct another interview again!

2 comments:

Mo said...

How long will you be there til?

Andrew said...

I leave in two weeks.