As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Monday, June 27, 2011

All Work and No Play

Well, June is wrapping up quickly, but not easily. For the months of June and July, our boss informed us that we would have to work weekends; YES, Saturdays AND Sundays! I don't like that at all. So far, I worked one Sunday at home for three hours, but this past weekend I worked seven hours on Saturday and four hours on Sunday.

There is reason as to why we have to work so many hours. When it's my teachers' and mine summer vacation, our students will participate in a summer camp in Seoul, where they compete by performing skits and reading speeches. The only problem is is that US teachers have to write the scripts and skits. LAME. So the students came in this past weekend to practice and we are there to help with pronunciation. It's hard work, and I do like it, but not on the weekends.

Another reason we are not too happy right now is because the dates for our summer vacation have not been decided. We were to find out in April, and when April finished she said May. And when May finished, she said June. Now that June is almost done, we gave up on asking her. She said originally that it would be the first two weeks in August, so that's what I'm planning. Of course, I can't book any flights yet, because that would turn into a huge mess. BUT, I can tell you I am planning about five days in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and the rest of my vacation in Bali, Indonesia. Our boss said we would get between 11 and 14 days. I hope it's 14.

We have been teaching phonics since May, so that is getting old too. It's hard to think of new activities to keep the kids entertained. They do pretty well though. We covered all the letters, A-Z, did all the vowels and both the long vowel and short vowel sound and now I am working on -th, -sh and -ch. Those sounds are pretty hard for them so I will have to come up with something.

It's been raining for about eight days now; apparently South Korea has a monsoon season and I am stuck in the middle of it. It's not too bad yet, but I guess the rain comes down harder in the late summer. I hope I don't have to learn how to use a canoe. I live close to the river, so I could take my canoe in to work instead of walking. That could be interesting.

Well, that's all for now. I am surviving, and hopefully I will have my dates for summer vacation soon, so that will give me something to look forward to!

No comments: