As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Beer Olympics in Chuncheon

So a couple weekends after our trip to Gyeongju, there was a Beer Olympics competition in Chuncheon. Chuncheon is the largest city in Gangwon-do province, and only an hour from Inje, so it's a great escape to a bigger town for the nightlife or a big department store. This time, I was going there to drink beer!

I don't know who organized it, but I think the owner of this bar (Tombstone Bar) was a Westerner, so lots of foreign teachers go there to party. Honestly, I have never spent a night in Chuncheon, so I don't know the 411. Anywho, the rules for this competition were as follows: have a team of four, create a team name and come dressed in costumes. There were to be three games played: beer pong, tippy cup and boat race (if you're not into drinking, I think I leave leave the descriptions out, just so you all think I still have my innocence.



So there was a total of 17 teams, and there were some long pauses between every game, so it turned out that all the teams just kept drinking in between the games. Needless to say, everyone was pretty drunk. Somehow, our team managed to stick together and take 3rd place. First, I think we were pretty good, but other teams left early and others just diminished because of their drunken states, so it wasn't a clean 3rd place, but I'll take it.

It was a fun change of pace. Oh, I should tell you our team name: Waygook Powerhouse 3000. In Korean, waygook means foreigner, so I wanted to stick with something international, since this is the "Olympics." There were three Americans on my team with one South African. It was a great time!



I should mention that as my 'waygook-ness' serves me, I added that I was from Minnesota on the back of my T-shirt. I ended up meeting two girls from Minnesota, so that was very pleasing. Thank goodness for Minnesota nice.

No comments: