As you may know, I love traveling and living in different countries and usually when I am abroad, I keep everyone posted through this blog.

My latest adventure is teaching English in South Korea from November 2010-November 2011. Happy reading!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 2 & 3 Thailand - Phuket



Hello. After spending the first night in Bangkok, we woke up and spent the day on the river looking at the Temple of the Dawn and just hanging out. Then we had a flight from Bangkok to Phuket, an island in the southern peninsula. We already had some hostels booked, so we didn't have to worry about looking for them when we arrived. Although, we originally had round-trip overnight train ticket from Bangkok to Phuket, but right before we left, the train people informed me that there was no train available for the night, we that's why we booked a last minute flight. It worked out alright; the flight was at 11pm NEW YEAR'S EVE, so it took about 45 minutes and I was hoping to be on the beach by the time midnight came around, but unfortunately, we were in a mini bus from the airport in Phuket to our hostel. Lame.

So when we landed in Phuket, we ran to the information desk because originally we were planning on being on the overnight train, but because that fell through, we had to book a hostel last minute. It was, by far, the crappiest hostel I had ever stayed in. It was very cheap, but not worth it. The beds had no linen, I didn't even take a shower and there was no air conditioning. It was miserable. We were happy to leave the next morning.



So we checked out of our hostel in the morning and found a quiet place to eat breakfast. That was delicious. Eggs, toast and bacon. Just what I needed. Then we continued walking down the streets looking for the hostel we booked in advance. This was the nicest and cheapest hostel I have ever stayed in. Bodega Phuket. the staff was awesome and friendly and helped us out anyway way they could. I don't know if that's how all of Thailand worked, or just this hostel, but it was great.



We started exploring and walked toward the beach. The weather was perfect. We slept in a little late, but that was fine with me. Then once we got to the beach, we slept some more. We didn't get there early enough to get chair and umbrellas, so we just laid our towels on the sands of the beach. The beach wasn't as clean as I thought it would be, but then I realized the night before was New Year's Eve, so there was probably a little party the night before. We didn't end up doing anything. I told my friend that I at least wanted a beer or a rum and coke, so I made her come out to the bar the was closest to our hostel. It was OK.



After spending most of the day on the beach, we went for dinner. I ordered friend noodles with chicken at this little restaurant down an alley off the main street. It was delicious and CHEAP. It hit the spot after doing nothing on the beach all day. We didn't do much that night either because we were wither tired or just didn't feel like it. I wanted to, but was tired at the same time. Eh.



The following day was the same thing: lying on the beach and eating. I think we just went back to our hostel to eat. They had amazing food: smoothies, great breakfast and burgers! It has been a while since I've had a burger. So I ordered one. While we were eating, we met some other English speakers. It's a good thing we started talking to them because they invited us to go out with them. They had to catch a flight the next day, so they told us they weren't going to go crazy, but we were out nonetheless. We drank a few beers at a bar with a live band. No matter where I have traveled, it still amazes me how many people actually speak English. It makes me feel bad that most Americans don't learn a second language..but at the same time it's not really necessary for us to. I don't know, it's a personal fight with myself, even though I speak a second language. Sorry, I'm off on a tangent. So after we left the bar, we went to get a massage. I guess those are very common in Thailand. It seemed like every block, some Thai girls were asking if we wanted a massage. So we stopped and got one. It was foot massage, which I felt kind of bad because I hadn't cut my toe nails for a while, but she didn't seem to mind. I must admit, it wasn't as pleasurable or relieving as I thought it would be. It hurt the whole time. It lasted one hour and it cost 300 Baht (Thai currency). That is less than 10 USDollars. Not bad. After it was finished and I got up and walked, it honestly felt like I was walking on air. It was crazy.



That's about all that happened in Phuket. It was a great time and I would definitely want to go back.

Here is my photo album from Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3143079&id=13932786&l=3e7fbf5b79

No comments: